Friday, November 29, 2013

Hopenschlafenlager....er. Hm.

Let's address the elephant in the room. How on earth is that pronounced?!?!

'Hohenleipisch' is not the easiest name to say. Kerstin, my host, had someone staying with her who was never able to master the name of the village and always said something different. Her favorite version was "Hopen-schlaf-en-lager. I imagine my own attempt at pronunciation was pretty horrific, too.
**

My time in Germany is sadly coming to a close. I have been here two weeks exploring East Germany and residing with a woman brought up to speak German and Russian in a small village that was once familiar with large Russian military bases. Sends the history senses tingling!

I am currently in a small village called Hohenliepisch, located in Brandenburg, Germany - approximately 2,500 residents.  I am staying with a woman name Kerstin, her husband and their 4 cats. Kerstin and I began chatting thanks to HelpX - an online meeting place for people with farms, hostels, hotels, large homes they need help with, ranches, boats, backpackers havens (and more!). You should check out the website here. 

 Helpers (or HelpXers) agree to help the host with work they have in exchange for a place to sleep, for food, etc. Hands down the best way to meet people and get "stuck in" a new place.  Kerstin is my 4th host on this trip and I truly can't wait to get back to Hohenleipisch some time in the future - there is always more to explore!
From the left: Carsten, Jose, and Kerstin 

When I arrived at the small train platform in the village Kerstin was there to meet me with another HelpXer; Jose from Spain.  Jose speaks English as well and is spending one year in Germany with the sole purpose of learning German (he had already been in Germany 6 months when I met him).  The best part about HelpX isn't the hosts' location or getting by cheaply but the other travelers you meet. I've been fortunate enough to meet and make some good friends this way and am excited to meet another girl from Hong Kong, arriving in Hohenleipisch after me.

EXPLORE here!
Kerstin's official website.  She has a lovely home with a large holiday apartment that can sleep up to 6 people. This time of year it is rented by a group of boys from Berlin who are here to learn a trade but in the summer and spring months it is taken up by tourists and families.  


So, what I have I learned in Germany about he local culture.... (beyond how much I enjoy the food, that is)? Well, of course most are familiar with Germans being hard-working (and punctual) and they care very much about the inside and the outside of the house. In this house, we are ruled by 4 four-pawed critters who are very intent on our whereabouts! In addition to regular upkeep of the holiday apartment, Human and I are very fond of our "tasks" playing with, feeding, entertaining, and being an occasional scratching post for the 2 kittens and 2 older cats! That's that sorted, then.
These little 5 month old kittens are Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie is all white an Clyde is black with white paws, nose and under belly.  Don't be fooled by Bonnie's name, though, they are litter brothers! They live up to their names.

This is Morchen (sounds more like Mooshen to us Americans - I have to say that the German 'r' is the hardest sound my mouth has ever tried to tackle! She is 13 and has a sister, Moritz (named after Moritzburg Castle). They are nearly identical but Moritz has a white patch on her chest. 


Life in Hohenleipisch as an honorary Petzold is....
 - having a schedule each day. Very organized, Germans.
 - eating more than necessary and needed but always insisted upon (and tasty)
 - playing with kittens and subjecting hands and fingers to being bled and bit (no problem here)
 - full of laughs and Kerstin translating TV for us when needed
 - comfortable and warm, even though the weather has shown us only 2 (very cold) sunny days
 - full of learning German words, teaching Carsten English words, and having discussions on the differences between Germans, Americans, and Chinese cultures.
- attempting to pronounce German and allowing Kerstin and Carsten to laugh at the sounds that emerge. 


Blah Blah... that's great and I'm so happy we were a help to Kerstin. What Kerstin did for me (and I imagine for Human, as well) can not be so easily summed up. I was able to see Dresden and the scorches of WWII, Potsdam and so many beautiful places that much of recent history overlooks due to our location on a map. I'll post another blog soon going into all the awesome things and places we saw so keep an eye out! For now, let's focus on food and cats.
An example of dinner - bread (on the table for every meal), cheese, sausages, butter, and tomatoes, cucumbers and beer. Often there is tea/coffee. The full day of meals: breakfast, coffee break (with cake or cookies), lunch, coffee break (more cake), dinner. Whew! I have gained a least 1 or 2 kilos....and I don't think it's from the beer!

The driveway and yard. There are 3 buildings - the house (behind me), the stable to the left, and the barn in front (now with garage).  Kerstin hopes to renovate the rest of the barn into an artist loft or studio.
The backyard. taken this morning, which was a very cold and frosty morning. With the sun shining it began to flurry beautiful, perfectly formed snowflakes! It was Hui Man's first time seeing snow EVER! Clyde was frolicking in the cold and nearly got stuck up a tree. Silly kitten.
Obviously there's beer.
And now, the Potsdam apples...


Human with Morchen. She has an apple, too, don't worry.



Human took this photo of Carsten and I jogging in the forest around the village.  She was jogging herself while she took the photo. I like this, also, because it proves that even though I indulged quite a bit I also ran!!! (you know, once)
Cold weather be damned - grilling (or, BBQing) fresh pork chops outside. We picked the chops up that morning at a local baker (who also butchered a pig and made sausage and these cuts), salted, peppered, and marinated in beer for a couple hours before cooking over an outdoor flame :D
I could spend all day playing with these little ones! I miss them already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment